In 1895 Pastor Hultkans of Bethlehem Lutheran and Pastor Cavallin organized the “Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Salem Church of North Minneapolis.” Worship was held in people’s homes.
In 1896 the congregation voted to purchase the southeast corner of Dupont and 42nd Ave for $300. In 1897 a special meeting was held and the congregation voted to build!
The contactor was to receive a salary of $0.20 per hour and workers to be paid $0.15 per hour. Each church member had to give ten days free time or pay for those 100 hours ($15).
In 1901 the Sunday School had 81 students. The church was growing and needed more room. By 1910 the students numbered 170.
The second church was completed in 1915. In 1916, Sunday School now has 217 children.
In 1954 we lay the cornerstone for the third church building. Sunday School now has 608 students. By 1958, that’s 881 children.